Monday, February 1, 2010

Plus Size Problem in the Media

This past weekend, after I watched Project Runway re-air on Lifetime, I started watching the made for TV movie, 'Lying to be Perfect.' starring Poppy Montgomery. It's about Nola Devlin (Poppy Montgomery) is an unassuming, frumpy magazine editor who is overlooked and teased by her coworkers. When the sun sets, though, and she is behind the glow and anonymity of her computer screen, she becomes the famous and “reclusive” advice columnist Belinda Apple. Nola’s friends, tired of being overworked and overweight, band together to create the “Cinderella Pact,” vowing to lose pounds by following the advice of their “fairy godmother,” Apple. When her secret identity is threatened, Nola is forced to take her own alter ego’s advice. But, as the group of friends drops dress sizes, their real issues are exposed, and better-than-expected life changes begin to blossom. This movie is based on the book “The Cinderella Pact” by Sarah Strohmeyer. (http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/lying-to-be-perfect/about).
I enjoyed the movie, however, I feel that everytime someone on TV is 'over-weight' or 'plus sized' their characters always seem sad, down, and depressed.
I can vouch, not all women who are not a svelt size 2 are sitting around feeling down and depressed about themselves. What irked me even more is that she was frumpy, wore little make-up, baggy clothes, & had stringy hair when she was bigger, but was well put together when she lost all the weight.
HELLOOO people! (yes, that is said with a very sarcastic, elongated 'O') Why does it seem all larger characters are portrayed this way on television?!
For once I would like to see a character in a TV show or movie who was of a average size, who was actually well put together, confident & a go-getter beside a skinnier counterpart.
I feel this gives viewers a false sense of what women who don't happen to be a size 2 are doing. I can verify on my end, we are well put together, care for our looks, the way we dress and can be very CONFIDENT! So please network execs, next time create a movie that has a more positive character role for someone who is of a larger size!

No comments:

Post a Comment